Saturday, May 5, 2012

WGN-TV news anchor Mark Suppelsa takes break for rehab

Mark Suppelsa

WGN-Ch.9 evening news anchor Mark Suppelsa was off the air Friday night, and has announced he will be entering a month-long alcohol recovery program.

In a letter written to his colleagues and subsequently posted on the WGN-TV web site, Suppelsa displayed unusual candor in explaining his need to address a hidden alcohol abuse problem.

“Simply put, I have been abusing alcohol at the end of my work day as my family slept,” Suppelsa said. “It was my secret and I became very accomplished at hiding it. I do my best to function at a high level and I know that it is my responsibility to correct anything that potentially interferes with my family or my work.”

Suppelsa will be checking into Minnesota’s Hazelden addiction treatment center, and plans to return to the air in June.

While the announcement caught many colleagues by surprise, station management expressed support for his move to seek help.

“We are supportive of Mark's efforts to deal with this issue and look forward to his return," WGN-TV Vice President and General Manager Marty Wilke said in a statement. "We, and he, appreciate the support from our viewers."

Suppelsa joined Tribune Co.-owned WGN in 2008 and co-anchors two evening newscasts each weekday. He also has contributed reporting to the Chicago Tribune.

During his absence, rotating anchors will fill in alongside Lourdes Duarte at 5 p.m. and Micah Materre at 9 p.m., according to a station spokeswoman.

Tom Negovan will co-anchor the 9 p.m. broadcast Friday, which will also include an explanation of Suppelsa’s leave to get treatment.

Prior to joining WGN-TV, Suppelsa spent five years at WFLD-Ch.32 , where he anchored Fox News Chicago at Nine.

Before that he spent 10 years at WMAQ-Ch.5 as an anchor and reporter. Suppelsa has a degree in broadcast journalism from Marquette University.

No comments:

Post a Comment